CARBON MONOXIDE

Carbon Monoxide Detection for Buffalo, NY

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

On February 22, 2010, Amanda’s Law went into effect. This law was named after a Buffalo, NY resident Amanda Hansen, a teenager who lost her life to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning when she was sleeping over at a friend’s house. The law aimed to prevent more deaths like Amanda’s by requiring that all new and existing homes with a fuel-burning appliance, system, or attached garage come with a CO detector.

Vastola Heating & Cooling has been doing our part to help ever since.
Amanda’s Law Quick Facts
  • Every new and existing one and two-family dwelling, multifamily dwelling, or rental must have CO alarms.
  • The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends that these alarms be installed in a central location outside of sleeping areas. There should be at least one alarm on every level of the home.
  • The CO alarms must comply with Underwriters Laboratories (UL) 2034 or Canadian Standards Association (CSA) 6.19 and they must be installed according the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • CO alarms must be replaced every 5 years to benefit from the latest technology and ensure that the sensors have not worn out. 
Learn More about CO Poisoning
There are many websites you can visit to learn more about CO poisoning, the #1 cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States:
How Does Vastola Heating and Cooling Help?
If you first installed your CO alarms when Amanda’s Law went into effect, it is probably time to replace them. We can help you find and install a qualifying CO alarm. Give us a call at 716-827-8652 today to learn more.
Share by: